Wednesday, July 20, 2011

VR

I accordance with what Jamie had mentioned, I personally do not take any interest in the act of killing someone for entertainment purposes in a video game. But with that said, I do see its appeal to some people, and take its nature of simulation with a grain of salt. I can see how video games can evoke moral issues when they parallel real life in so many ways, but I do believe a line must be drawn when identifying oneself with characters in video games and becoming so emotionally invested in these games that are clearly not real life, and should not be treated as such. Furthermore, I think it is absolutely preposterous that people would host a funeral via video game and expect everyone to treat it with respect that they believe it should have. It is far too unrealistic to hold everyone to the same moral code, especially when dealing with something like video games that is seen by many, including myself, as not having a very serious undertone.
Aside from this, I believe that virtual reality is making positive strides in many ways including telepresence, which i thought incredibly fascinating. Wouldn't it be remarkable for a doctor to be able to control a robot or device that performed surgery for him? I think this is a technology that would be so beneficial, and revolutionary for the medical field; it has the potential to change so many lives by providing more precise and less invasive procedures, as well as offering immediate medical attention in absence of a doctor/surgeon. Now that's pretty sweet. (and frankly much more important than video games : )

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HSF1bVXtdbk&feature=related

No comments:

Post a Comment